Today is National Trivia Day, and here is your first piece of trivia. Touchtown’s suite of engagement products are used by over 250,000 seniors every single day. In fact, our mission has always been to help seniors living in senior living communities to live happier and healthier lives.
That being said, here are 10 interesting facts on wellness in senior living for National Trivia Day!
- Only 20% of how long the average person lives is determined by genes. The remaining factors come from lifestyle and environment (2006 Danish Study)
- 70% of baby boomers have a hobby or special interest that they will dedicate a lot more time to when they retire – ICAA Report
- Prolonged isolation can be as bad for your health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day
- 5% of people 55+ who planned to move to a retirement community would do so to have more social contact and activities
- 88% of 388 organizations currently have a formal wellness program, 11% have wellness activities without a formal program
A 2016 study from International Council on Active Aging (ICAA) surveyed residents from communities that offered wellness programs:
- Half of CCRC wellness participants agreed that the wellness program was one of the main reasons why they chose that community
- 96% of wellness participants in IL or IL/AL communities are happy with their quality of life
- 92% of wellness participants feel healthier regardless of their actual health compared to 68% of the US population
- Residents who participated in wellness programming in IL had an average length of stay 2 years longer than all IL residents
- 65% of people looking at independent living communities value on-site services and recreation
To learn more about how Touchtown can help to enhance wellness in your community request a free demo.